Thursday, April 16, 2009

tinker fairy chicken soup



My kids both devoured their bowls of soup tonight. I have to admit that I was a little nervous about the bright green color (thanks to the pureed spinach), but decided to give this chicken soup a catchy name in case I received any objections. And we didn't forget to add the fairy dust (thyme) for a little extra something!
To save time on cooking chicken soup during the week, I buy chicken breasts (with skin) so there is less time spent deboning the chicken. Boil the chicken in large stockpot, skimming out foam residue. After cooked, take skin off chicken breasts and discard, and break up chicken into bite sized pieces. In addition to the chicken breasts, add:
1 box low-sodium chicken broth
,
1 cup chopped carrots
,
1 cup thinly sliced celery
,
1/2 cup chopped onions
,
1/2 cup pureed spinach
(steamed and pureed earlier).
As you can see from the pics, I let the kids help whenever possible, even if it's simply throwing the ingredients in the pot. When all vegetables are soft, add desired amount of pasta (little stars/stellette) directly into stockpot. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and fresh cilantro (optional), & parmesian cheese to taste. Just a sidenote, I let kids add their own cheese. I've found they're more likely to dig in when they do it themselves
Tonight, everyone received dessert for finishing their dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment