Thursday, April 30, 2009

Meatless Crockpot Chili


As I've already mentioned, it's a struggle to get my kids to eat much protein. They don't eat any form of meat, besides chicken in chicken soup (don't know why); not even McDonald's chicken nuggets! Once in a while, they'll eat an occasional bean or two. I tried this meatless chili last night. It was soooo easy and very tasty. My husband and I loved it! I combined a few recipes, and ingredients I already had in the house.
Ingredients:
2 cans black beans
1 can chili beans (can also use white/canellini beans or pinto beans)
1 can (14 oz. diced tomatoes)
1 cup or 1 small can chicken broth (vegetable broth if you are vegetarian)
frozen corn (I used 2 raw ears of corn I had in the fridge/ cut into thirds)
1 tsp curry
1 tsp cumin
Shredded Mexican cheese

Toppings:
Cilantro
Soft Tortillas

Throw all these (except cheese and cilantro) into the slow cooker/Crock Pot for 3-4 hours.
Serve with cheese and cilantro sprinkled over top and tortillas on the side.

My daughter wound up eating about 10 or so beans. We made a game for her using a toothpick to pick up the beans. My son wouldn't eat any of it, although he does like beans, most times.

No comments:

Post a Comment