Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Beet "Pink" Pancakes



Well, I thought I'd try something ultra-healthy for dinner tonight... since my daughter loves pancakes and pink things, why not try this recipe for Pink Pancakes, right out of Jessica Seinfeld's, "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook, despite its controversy.
Here is the recipe right out of the cookbook... I own it.
Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup beet puree (oven-roasted at 400 for 1 hr, then pureed with water in blender)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup pancake mix (store-bought)
1/4 grated apple (I used apple sauce- easier)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon canola or vege oil
Maple syrup or fruit for serving

1. In a blender or food processor, combine water, ricotta cheese, beet puree, vanilla, and cinnamon and blend. Dump the mixture into a medium bowl, add the pancake mix and apple, and stir until just combined. Do not overmix- the batter will be a little lumpy.
2. Coat a griddle or nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil. Spoon the batter onto the griddle or skillet, using about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook the pancakes until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, 1-2 min. Then flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm, with syrup or fruit.

After this entire time-consuming project, and pink splattered everywhere from the kids "helping" stir, this recipe failed to entice the kids to eat. My daughter at least ate 2 bites covered with syrup, but didn't want to eat anymore. I was very frustrated after trying so hard... until I tried them. I am not a huge beet lover or hater, but these pancakes were hard to eat, even drowning in syrup. They left a strong beet aftertaste for hours afterward. I think I will try something less healthy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment